Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Beatles: Get Back Initial Reaction Ep.1

It was Friday, Black Friday, in the evening when my family was settling down in the living room, and I
made an announcement, "I am planning to watch the new Beatles documentary on Disney+."  Without an objection and maybe even a little interest, I started the show.  I am really the only Beatles fan in the family, but I thought, maybe this would entice them and prove once and for all in my house, how awesome the Beatles really are.  It didn't.  After about 20 minutes, I was the only one left in the living room.  Everyone else found something more important to do.  

In fact, The Beatles: Get Back wasn't what I was expecting.  I walked into it with no prior knowledge of what I was about to see, but I wasn't expecting what I saw.  That doesn't mean disappointment, it just means I needed some time to process the show.  After about one hour in, I turned it off.  As the rest of the evening went by, I couldn't stop thinking about what I heard and saw.  I was even thinking about it the next morning, and that next Saturday evening, I found myself settling in to finish episode one.

I found this documentary to be intriguing at first, but before long I discovered that it is a treasure...for a Beatles fan.  Maybe others found a different experience, but while I became mesmerized by this uncensored, raw footage of the Beatles planning a live show with brand new music, my family of non-Beatles fans were completely bored and kind of put off by Paul, John, and Yoko Ono.  The opinion of my family doesn't impact my opinion of the show, but it does make me ponder the accessibility of the show.  With all of that said, here are my initial reactions: 

I was blown away by Paul's on-the-spot writing of Hey Jude, Get Back, and The Long and Winding Road.  It is a dream to hear an artist tell the story of how a song is created, but to watch Paul, John, George, and Ringo play it out, sing unwritten lyrics, trial-and-error style, was incredible.  I am especially giddy about Paul blah, blah, blahing his way through verses of The Long and Winding Road, only to have John eventually say it would be nice to hear some words in there.  There is something quite charming about that. This alone may have been worth the two hours plus time on the first episode of the documentary. 

I wasn't surprised to see Yoko Ono make an appearance on the show as I had read and seen in other documentaries that she was a presence, but this show really showed how much she was inserted into the group.  Less by verbal input and opinion, and more by her physical presence and proximity being the fifth member.  She quite literally sits at John's side the entire week of filming doing God knows what.  We also sense her emotion and passion at the end of the episode when the group, minus George, display their raw emotion of frustration at the end of the second week of planning and writing.  I did appreciate the few moments that were seen between Linda McCartney and Yoko Ono when Linda came to the set in the second week.  Something about that interaction made Yoko Ono feel less of a silent presence and more of a person as she is seen talking with Linda.   

I never doubted that the Beatles had their differences.  In fact, it was quite known, but never have I, or maybe any of us as fans, seen the conflict quite in the way this film shows it.  It is very clear that there is an issue with George and that he and Paul were headed down a difficult road.  George demonstrates a bit of an inferiority complex that maybe he isn't the guitar player of an Eric Clapton level. Later in the documentary, Paul is unhappy with the way George is playing.  Paul stands and it feels rather aggressive as he looks down at a seemingly trapped George in his seat and his guitar on his lap.  The issue is the style of guitar playing.  Soon after this incident, we learn that George has left the session and has quit the project.  I wasn't surprised.  Paul really left a bad taste.  Admittedly, I am only a viewer of this documentary.  I wasn't there to see where all of this was coming from in the past, but at this point, we have watched this conflict begin to brew over the two weeks of practice and planning in the first episode of the program.  

Overall, the first third of this show is brilliant.  Again, I have to say, though, it is brilliant for a Beatles fan.  I can completely understand as my family started to file out of the room.  This show, as brilliant as the editing and original film treasure, is not for everyone.  I will have to watch it alone.  Don't feel sorry for me though, I will grab some popcorn and probably a beer, to settle in for the next 4 hours of two episodes of The Beatles: Get Back

No comments: