Tuesday, February 16, 2021

My Favorite New Marvel Comic Title

I like to support my local comic shop, and ask that everyone buy a few print comics to support our local shops and the industry overall.  I am totally loyal to the print copies of The Amazing Spider-Man, Star Wars, Conan the Barbarian,  as well as IDW's Star Wars Adventures and a few special issues here and there.  After that, I consume comics digitally.  I don't have to worry about folding the cover or an issue tearing while sitting in the car.  Digital comics are always with me.  I've talked about Marvel Unlimited in the past, but I mention all that because I am about 3 months late from the print release in finding my favorite new Marvel title, Shang-Chi by Gene Luen Yan

A few years ago I had the absolute pleasure of meeting Gene Luen Yang thanks to a school librarian friend who brought him to her school to speak and sign autographs.  What I discovered is, not only is he a super talented writer and artist, but he is a really gracious and friendly guy.  We had the opportunity to visit about everything from comics, to favorite television shows, his travel adventures and libraries.  One little tidbit that he dropped that didn't come back to my mind until now was that he told me he had a "little" project that he was discussing with Marvel Comics.  Now at that time, it could have been anything, but I like to think that he was referring to this book, Shang-Chi.  What a cool project he has created, and it is my favorite new Marvel title.  

Coming into the comic, I didn't know much about Shang-Chi other than he is a martial artist superhero.  I didn't know anything about the back story, but issue one breaks it all down.  It's an interesting set-up with ancient societies and a really well-known but obscure villain.  After the first two issues, it isn't certain that the villain introduced in the flashback/history part opening will be a major player right away, but it was cool to see it.  Yang delivers with great dialog and history to set the story up.  The pieces of the story come together quickly to let the story move right away.  The art by Dike Ruan is clear, detailed and realistic whereas the flashback art by Philip Tan is gritty and gives a sense of history to the story with darker tones and a faded, blending of lines.  I've been looking forward to the release of this book, but now I look forward to the release of each issue on Marvel Unlimited.  

If you are looking for a newer book to check out, especially with the upcoming Marvel Cinematic Universe film, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings to release this July, this is a great story to experience.  Be sure to pick it up from your local comic shop or subscribe to Marvel Unlimited for this story and a massive amount of digital comics from the Marvel Universe.  

Update 2/17/21:  "Marvel Comics is proud to announce that the incredible team will continue their bold work on the character this May in a new ongoing series. SHANG-CHI #1 will kick off a surprising new journey for Marvel’s greatest fighter as he finds himself on the opposite side of Marvel’s heroes."  https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/shang-chi-2021-new-comic-series


No comments: