Thursday, January 13, 2022

Friday Favorites: Top 5 Activities to Stay Fit

It is generally at this time of year that we see Weight Watchers, Planet Fitness, and other health/weight loss advertisements on television.  It makes sense.  This is the time we generally make resolutions for the new year.  It is an age-old tradition with the end of one year to the beginning of the next.  For me, it is fun to make resolutions, but the real change comes in simply making life changes.  

January's Friday Favorites are my Top 5 activities to stay fit.  They are all designed to be fun but fit at the same time.  Why is fun so important?  If a fitness activity isn't fun, then we won't want to do it, or we will resent the activity to where we come to hate it and we stop.  Then we beat ourselves up, because we aren't doing something healthy.  Those feelings are self-defeating and no fun.   

If anything on my list doesn't sound like fun, don't add the activities to your routine!  Create a list of fun-fit activities you like to do.  Create a list of activities that include things you can do alone and things you can do with others like family or friends.  Try to find activities that vary in intensity, but most importantly, make the activities things you want to do and can achieve.  I should also add that if you are adding new activities to your life and you have had health issues, be sure to discuss this with your doctor.  They are pretty smart about how to keep you healthy.  Also, remember that having a healthy diet goes a long way to helping you feel great.  

Here are my top five favorite activities to stay healthy: 

5. Group Fitness Classes:  Check out your local gym or health club.  I am sure that they have some weight training classes or indoor biking classes or any number of other strength and cardio classes.  If you are a little reticent to try these classes because of "peer pressure," don't be!  Everyone remembers their first class.  The nervousness flees from you quickly as the music starts and you start working out with everyone else.  These classes can be hard, so take it easy.  A good instructor will tell you to take it easy and just get a hang of the class the first time or two.  You will fall in love with these classes very quickly!  

4. Push-ups:  Am I serious?  You bet!!  Start small (the theme of this post).  I started with one set of 20 push-ups on my knees every morning.  Before long, (1 week) I was moving it up to 30.  Then two sets, then I came up off my knees to my toes and backed off the reps and added sets.  I think I went to 10 push-ups on my toes and did 3 sets.  There are all sorts of push-up workouts on the Internet.  Find one that makes sense to you and go at it!  Every day!  You will see and feel a difference. 

3. Yoga:  This can be complicated and it is possible to hurt yourself, so I highly recommend finding a certified trainer or group class.  Once you get the basics of yoga, then you can move it to your own  workout space at home.  There is lots of advice online that is great when you get the basics down from an instructor.  I find that when I add yoga to my workout plan, it gives me a good "off" day from weights or cardio, or it makes for a great way to cool down and stretch at the end of a workout.  Don't be fooled thought, yoga is a workout and the benefits of doing yoga are numerous.  Personally, I find it really helps my body stay loose from the stretching and it brings me a sense of peace.  You will likely find other benefits, so find an instructor and learn.  

2. Running/Walking:  Go to your local running store and get a good pair of running shoes.  Yes, you get what you pay for and the expertise of a local running store employee is well worth the money.  You don't have to run a marathon (although that is an amazing goal to have).  Find a local running group and start small.  As I mentioned with the Group Fitness classes, finding a running group adds motivation and accountability while bringing the fun of making new friends and having some laughs along the way.  All runners started somewhere simple and running half a mile for a few weeks is 100% okay.  

I have been walking on a treadmill for 20-30 minutes 3-5 days a week as part of my workout for about 2 years.  I have added spurts of running from time-to-time to add variety, but I don't find running on the treadmill to be fun. I just do it to get my heart rate up a little then I go back to walking.  I miss these walks on my off days, and I think if you find something to hold your attention (watching a show or the news, listening to a book or music) the time really flies and you will feel great when the walk is over.  

1. Biking:  I love biking!  It is low impact on the body, and when you are outside, you can cover a lot of ground on the bike.  I enjoy bike rides with my family or longer, faster rides with members of the cycling community or just by myself.  I also enjoy indoor rides by myself in my basement or at a local gym in a group fitness class.  Find a local bike store that can get you set up with a good bike that will fit your needs.  The cost of biking varies, but like I mentioned with finding a local running store, a local bike shop is well worth the extra dollars to find the right bike.  Many bike stores also have a nice stock of used bikes that they take as trade-ins for new bikes, so you may find a deal on a used bike that has professional maintenance.  Also, don't forget to get plenty of safety items, headlights and flashing red lights for the rear of your bike.  Get reflective clothing so cars have no excuse to not see you.  

I love cycling because of the community of riders out there.  There are so many cool people who ride to work, ride across the country, ride across town or just ride in the neighborhood.  A bike opens the door for conversation.  I am also an advocate for indoor cycling as well.  You can meet a wonderful community at your local gym or bike shop who get together to take an indoor cycling class or just put bikes onto indoor trainers and ride together.  If it has been a while since you have been on a bike, try it out.  Find a friend to ride with and plan out routes around town.  Take advantage of cycling lanes in your city or bike paths that many towns are adding.  There are also Rails-to-Trails projects all across the United States. I bet there are some trails you could ride somewhere near you.  

I hope you find one of my Top 5 activities to stay fit inspiring.  Find what works for you and create your own Top 5 activities that you love and look forward to doing to stay fit.  

No comments: