Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Free Comic Book Day 2022!

Just before the end of 2021, the Free Comic Book Day committee announced that it will return to its traditional "First Saturday in May" date.  In 2022, that date is Saturday, May 7!  I am quite excited about this announcement.  This "holiday" reminds me of how much I enjoy the art and storytelling format of comics as I get to read through new stories or comics that I have never experienced before.  Another reason I enjoy Free Comic Book Day (FCBD) is for the family memories that are attached.  

I remember taking my two girls (much younger then) to our local comic book store, Zeek's Comics and Games, on FCBD.  My girls have never had much interest in comic books and that's cool, they are who they are.  But on FCBD they always want to go with me as they seem to really enjoy browsing through the new/free books.  Sometimes I think they enjoy it because the covers look different than the new comic book wall they normally see on a weekly basis.  There are books they don't normally see there such as My Little Pony, Archie, Marvel Rising, Diana Princess of the Amazons, or The Descendants.  

I like stepping back and watching them browse through the books trying to decide which three or four they would like to take home.  I get to watch them discuss the pictures and the art.  These are conversations I don't often witness when they are out and about.  Once they have made their picks, they always want to see what I chose, because they know I won't have my typical stack of Star Wars or Spider-man books.  They know that I cherish this day to take a look at new stuff.  When we reach the car, the ride home is always quiet as they are flipping through the pages of the books they grabbed.  I seriously cherish this, because as they get older, that time together, the time for conversation and stopping to just watch them gets shorter and shorter.  Not long ago, I was helping my youngest daughter straighten up her room and I came across a stash of FCBD books.  I asked her if she wanted me to put them away.  She told me, "no," she likes to look through them every now and then.  Even though my daughters aren't necessarily fans of comic books, I hope other kids get to attend FCBD.  Maybe their mom or dad will find the joy in watching them flip through the pages and choose which books they would like to take.  I hope that the accessibility of the free books triggers a spark in some of the children that makes them ask to return to get more to create that love of the story told through word and art.  

Needless to say, I am excited for the return of Free Comic Book Day.  The FCBD committee announced that there are 46 comic book titles that will highlight the day.  Here are a few of the titles that are sure to bring some excitement to children and adults alike.  Here is the link to the full list:  

How about the 25th anniversary of Buffy the Vampire Slayer by BOOM! studios?  Can it be 25 years?  This could be a good conversation starter for kids and their parents who loved Buffy the Vampire Slayer.













Also by BOOM! studios is a really cool book called Hollow that is set in...yes..Sleepy Hollow, so I bet you can guess who the antagonist is.  This may end up on my pull list in 2022!














Red Sonja by Dynamite Entertainment

Check out this classic Red Sonja cover!!  It is as stunning as the main character of this book; it is sure to be a hit, so swears Red Sonja!













Enemies by Svetlana Chmakova Yen Press

So many of my students enjoy Chmakova's other books, Awkward, Brave, and Crush, that just seeing the cover of Enemies makes me want to dive into this story.  I have a feeling I know two girls who will walk away with their own copies of the Enemies preview.  














Of course, just like in any year, the big publishers like DC, Marvel, and IGN will have titles on FCBD.  So mark your calendars and be sure to make a trip to your local comic shop in May. 

Want more information and a video with all the scheduled Free Comic Book Day books?  Check out the video: 




No comments: