Monday, August 24, 2026

300

This is the 300th post of Seeking Positivity in the Galaxy, originally titled: My Supposedly Interesting Thoughts!  Thanks for joining me for the stories, top 5s, statistics, digital trading cards, fantasy sports,
and more!  

The number 300 stands out to me in several ways, so bear with me on this tangent with the number 300.  First, it makes me think of bowling.  In college, I took a bowling course for 1 credit hour; I became a decent bowler as my average moved to 207.  Not bad, but it was far from the perfect bowling game score of 300.  

For the last several years, I have taken my summer reading group to a local summer camp where they have a paintball field.  Most of us had never played paintball let alone ever considered shooting anything at someone, but there we were, firing paintballs across a wooded battlefield.  Our paintball rate was quite slow at about 150 feet per second to reduce the pain and whelts that would appear on the skin after getting marked.  The universally accepted maximum safety velocity limit for paintball, however, is 300 feet per second. 

In 480 BC, a massive Persian army bottlenecked at Thermopylae, where brave Spartan soldiers, greatly outnumbered, held the pass.  The number of Spartan soldiers who held the pass was 300.  

An abundant number that is the sum of its proper divisor (568) is greater than the number itself is the number 300.  (I admit that I have no idea what any of that means and I hope I paraphrased the mathmatical rule properly.  But you get the idea)

Personally, the number 300 sits covetously in my mind. It is the issue number of the Amazing Spider-Man comic book that is THE bucket list issue for my collection.  I love the cover!  Spidey swings through a wall of "300s" in his black Spidey suite.  Tons of fun!  This book introduces a new villian who has become one of the most popular anti-heroes in Marvel lore, Venom.  The Amazing Spider-Man 300 is written by David Michelinie and Pencil and Inked by Todd McFarlane.  That combo says enough about the success of this milestone issue, but again, I want it for the unique, fun cover.  

Thank you for joining me for post 300 and my musings on the number 300.  Here is to another 300 posts and maybe it won't take almost 20 years.  Hey, after 300 posts, consider subscribing to Seeking Positivity in the Galaxy.  I wouldn't want you to miss another post!  

No comments: