Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Top 5 Marvel Collect Insert and Award Cards for 2021

It is time for my second annual review of the Topps Digital Card apps top cards.  This week I will be looking at my Top 5 Marvel Collect Insert and Award Cards for 2021.  Sticking with the same criteria as last year, this is a list of the Top 5 cards that I collected.  If you are looking at your sets, it is likely we collected different sets and cards; therefore, your list will be awesome but different.  The purpose of this list is not to evaluate all cards in the app for 2021, just the ones I have collected.  Have fun and let me know what your top digital cards are for Marvel Collect in 2021!  If you want to see these cards and others from the sets, check out my collection on Marvel Collect Username: CYCLELIBRARIAN
I only trade doubles, but if I have doubles, make a fair trade.  I just might accept!

5. Peter Parker from the Comic Impact Collection, Super Rare, 842 Global Count
Spider-man makes several of my top five cards.  I like the aesthetics of this card titled Peter Parker with the black/gray brick border.  The card features Spider-man with his mask off, suspended on his web over New York City.  This card is all Spidey, but it shows his uncertainty of having his mask off in public.  Being Spider-man, though, his identity is probably pretty safe up in the sky.  


4.  Infinity Cover #8 from the Infinity Comic Collection set, Super Rare, 1086 Global Count
This card is a reproduction of a variant cover to the Infinity Comic.  The card is fun to look at and very light in content as the baby Avengers play on a classic arcade game that has Thanos on the outer case of the video game console.  I like the retro feel of the hero community playing an arcade game console along with the dire situation of combating Thanos.  I especially appreciate a brooding hulk letting Cap stand on his shoulders to command the battle. My guess is these baby Avengers probably don't have enough quarters to finish the game.  


3.  Spider-Man #5 from the 90's Collection, Rare, 3605 Global Count
I love the comic panel cards and 2021 brought us a common set with tons of cards with comic panels.  Spider-Man #5 comes from a different set, the 90's Collection which has some really cool and unique cards in a sharp-looking card design.  I like how the right-hand side of this particular card has the larger border on the right and the Spider-Man title printed down the side with the Marvel logo at the bottom right corner.  This page of panels is cool, and the card is very appealing.   



2. Carnage vs. Spider-Man Award Card
There is so much happening in this classic Spider-Man vs. Carnage battle card.  First, the border is all comic book look with comic box and lettering background with blue, black and red colors.  Then, the action is in the center of the card.  It appears that Carnage has the upper hand on Spidey (as he often does in a battle with Spider-Man), but it appears that maybe Spidey has a plan to perform an upper kick to the face of Carnage as they battle on the top of a skyscraper in NYC.  I love the realism and detail to this card and the blinding white of the background brings the battle to focus. I've spent more time than I should just playing this moment of battle out in my head.  



1.  Cable from the Topps Weekly Original Art Set, Rare, 5258 Global Count
While the Carnage vs. Spider-Man card is full of color, action and detail, my top card of 2021 is all about the simplicity of a sketch card.  It isn't often that you come across a card with Cable where the focus isn't massive guns, weaponry, and armor that Cable typically carries with him.  This card is just the man.  The techno-organic virus is clearly present on the left side of his body, and his organic arm, showing the massive bicep and musculature that we have come to expect, is all Cable.  This card demonstrates Cable's dominance as a soldier and a leader of the X-Men.  I love original art, and I love original art of my favorite X-Man, Cable. 




No comments: