Wednesday, July 10, 2024

American Pickers: I can't stop watching

I don't watch much television, because I always feel guilty for the time it seems to waste. But when I swing by the History Channel and see American Pickers it on, I can't walk away.  For those who haven't ever watched the show, here is an explanation from the American Pickers website: 


The American Pickers are on a mission to recycle America, even if it means diving into countless piles of grimy junk or getting chased off a gun-wielding homeowner’s land. Hitting back roads from coast to coast, the Pickers earn a living by restoring forgotten relics to their former glory, transforming one person’s trash into another’s treasure. The show follows the team as they scour the country for hidden gems in junkyards, basements, garages and barns, meeting quirky characters and hearing their amazing stories. If you think the antique business is all about upscale boutiques and buttoned-up dealers, this show may change your mind – and teach you a thing or two about American history along the way.

The hunt is what draws me in.  I enjoy the history that the hosts share as they are picking.  In particular they have an affinity for bicycles, motorcycles, cars, advertising and toys.  Their passion and knowledge of these items is really fun to see.   

Watching them negotiate with the owners of this "junk" is a lesson alone.  I feel that they are super fair in their offers especially knowing they have to resell the items they find.  I like when a seller offers too little for something of significant value, the hosts will tell them that they aren't offering enough, and they will make a fair offer that is higher than the seller's original.  I love this honest bartering.  

American Pickers never disappoints me.  I never feel that it is wasted time watching TV when the show is on, because I am entertained and I feel that I learn a little along the way.  

No comments: