Saturday, January 21, 2023

Top 5 Topps Bunt Cards of 2022

Another year of Topps Bunt digital card trading in 2022 brought out some really cool and fun sets.  This is a Top 5 list of some of my favorite cards and sets.  I digitally own all of the cards shown, but I may not own the complete sets.  Here we go!  

5.  Topps Original Artwork 22, Juan Soto, Rare, 13,111 card count

Original art always stands out to me, and while there isn't anything particularly fancy about these cards themselves, I really like the simple nature of them.  The focus is very much on the players.  I also like that this variant of the set only has five cards.   



4.  Halloween Collection 22, Javy Baez, Uncommon, 64.626 card count

While I don't always collect all of them, I do enjoy the holiday sets that come out.  This Halloween collection stands out.  It is very colorful and has a real, spooky feel.  A lot of variants and subsets came with collecting cards from this set.  To quote my digital card-collecting friend and host of the Rebel Base Card podcast, Greg McLaughlin, "this set has lots of tasty nuggets."  I think what he meant is with all the uncommon, rare, and super rare variants, there were a lot of insert cards to collect, and once you got deep into cracking packs, the odds were that something would be popping out often.  I have four copies of this Javy Baez card, so I am trading for any uncommon 2022 card I don't have if you are in need of this card.  I highly recommend checking out the cards in this set.  They are full of spooky baseball fun.  


3. MLB at Field of Dreams 22, Wilson Contreras, Uncommon, 31,286 card count

The Field of Dreams games that the MLB has played in Dyersville, Iowa at the sight of the filming of the iconic film Field of Dreams the last two seasons have been very successful and brought lots of attention.  When Topps Bunt brought out a set of the two teams who played there in 2022, I knew I would have to pick up this set of 50 cards, because my beloved Chicago Cubs played and are highlighted in the set along with their opponent the Cincinnati Reds.  I love the classic look of the border and font with a different player from each team highlighted on the card with a cornfield in the background.  So cool.  I have all but 3 cards in this set with lots of dupes.  I would love to fill this set if you have the cards I need. 


2. Topps Now 22, Aaron Judge, Uncommon, 18,024 card count

This is one of my favorite sets.  I don't collect them all, in fact, I don't come anywhere close to collecting all of these daily sets of the season and off-season.  I generally collect when players of my teams (Cubs and Tigers) appear on the Topps Now cards, or I will chase them when I feel something significant has happened like a No-Hitter or something.  So, when Aaron Judge belted home run 62, that seemed appropriate.  These cards always have sharp images of the highlights of the prior day's games.  

1. Topps 206 22, Anthony Rizzo, Uncommon 42,530 card count

This set topps my list (pun intended).  I really enjoy when Bunt creators use throwback borders and card styles.  These mini-cards from way before my time are cool when they show players of today.  This set had 4 series in 2022, and I didn't get nearly enough of these cards.  I am very willing to trade dupes of these cards for cards of this set that I didn't get which is a pretty significant number.  

No comments: