Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Top 5 Foods I Can't Live Without

This could also be titled,  The Top 5 Lazy Food list, but I don't necessarily consider myself lazy.  Maybe just when it comes to foods.  These are foods that are a staple in our pantry at home, because no matter the mood, taste, or time of day, I can eat these and feel pretty happy.  Don't make the mistake though, this is not a healthy list.  Here we go:  

5. Potato Chips
Seriously, who doesn't love the crunchy, salty light snack?  Granted, it doesn't fill up the tummy, and
they should be eaten in conjunction with other foods (see #4 and #2 on this list), but potato chips are great!  My favorite chip is the plain, flat brand and not a rigid/ruffled style.  I prefer the non-flavored and I don't like too much salt.  Go easy, friends.  The best potato chip has a potato flavor with a thin chip and light salt. My favorite brands are:  Jays Potato Chips, Vitner's Potato Chips, Lays Lightly Salted Potato Chips, and Utz Original Potato Chips.  

4. Pizza
I suppose anyone who has been a regular reader of this page would know that I love pizza as I did a Top 5 Frozen Pizza post back in 2021.  I sometimes believe that I could legit live on pizza.  It is such a perfect format for a variety of types of pie: breakfast, meat, barbeque chicken, veggie,
etc.  There are so many options for pizza that even if you don't have a taste for "pizza," you can probably find a pizza that doesn't taste like a traditional "pizza."  Here are a few of my favorite pizza brands: Pizza Hut thin crust cheese and sausage; Casey's sausage Breakfast Pizza; Home Run Inn Sausage and Pepperoni frozen thin crust.  



3. Chocolate Chip Cookies
I have an unforgiving sweet tooth and it doesn't discriminate between cakes, pies, cookies, brownies, pudding, etc.  Cookies, though, take the cake (so to speak), and one cannot go wrong with a chocolate chip cookie.  I even like the Nice! brand (Walgreens) Soft Baked Chocolate Chip flavored Cookies.  Yes, chocolate chip flavored just doesn't seem right, but they are pretty good.  The chocolate chip cookie can
go anywhere with little mess.  I even like that most can stack and go into a pocket when one might feel that they need to conceal the evidence that there may be something sweet around.  Not that I would do such a thing, I say share them!  Here are a few of my favorites: Chips Ahoy! Chewy Chips Ahoy! Jimmy John's Chocolate Chunk, Pepperidge Farm Chocolate Chip cookies. 






2.  Cold-Cut Deli Turkey
This might be on the list because I need something with some health benefits, but I can eat a slice of deli turkey any time.  I can put it on a salad for something healthy and the turkey will help to fill me up.  My favorite lunch is a pile of cold-cut deli turkey wrapped in a slice of Colby Jack cheese, boring but functional.  My favorite: hand cut from an
actual deli, Oscar Meyer Deli Fresh Oven Roasted Turkey Breast, Oscar Meyer Natural Slow Roasted Turkey Breast. 




1.  Cereal  
The king of breakfast, anytime go-to meal, snack craving killer, the "just waiting for it" midnight snack, the boss of the pantry is that rectangular box of cereal.  Is this a surprise?  It shouldn't be if you caught my post in 2021.  Any time of the day, any time of the year, I can walk into the kitchen, grab a bowl and a spoon then add some almond milk and I have a cereal meal/snack.  It can be eaten dry from a zip lock bag or with milk in a bowl. Either way, cereal is a wonderfully satisfying food, and if you have multiple varieties in the pantry, you can meet any snack or meal craving.  My favorite cereals are: Frosted Mini
Wheats Original, Honey Nut Cheerios, Honey Bunches of Oates.  

There you have it.  If there were a snowstorm and I was stuck in one place for a length of time, or if I was stranded on a desert island with a crash-landed shipment of 5 foods, this is the list.  I could survive a long time with these five foods.  

No comments: