Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Snow Days

When I was a kid, I loved snow days.  What kid doesn't love a surprise snow day from school?  I think, for me, it was less about missing a day of school and more about the opportunity to drop everything to head outside to sled, build a fort, or just goof around in the fluffy white stuff.  As an adult working in education, I still get to enjoy an occasional snow day, but they are enjoyable for different reasons.  

I love snow days now because snow is one thing that can slow people down or maybe even bring things to a halt.  Everything just kind of stops.  I don't hear cars rushing down the street early in the morning heading off to work.  If cars are going down the street it is slowly and quietly.  I love that a snow day lets me spend time with my family.  We are all relieved to not have hectic mornings of rushing around getting ready for the day.  We slow everything down.  We get to have meals together without someone missing or rushing out the door.  We get to talk to each other.  I get to watch my kids playing in the snow as I shovel the driveway.  In fact, with our last snow day, I shoveled much of the snow on the driveway into two large piles in the yard.  In one pile my kids dug a tunnel and "cave" to hang out in.  On the other pile, they created a small sledding path that ended up a "surfing" hill.  There aren't too many times in my day where I get to watch them having so much fun together.  The best is coming in and having some hot chocolate while laughing about all the dumb things that happened while surfing down the hill, "face plants," epic crashes, and distance records.  The snow day forces us to slow down to watch and listen to each other.  

Why do we need a snow day to do that?  Our lives are so packed from morning to night that many people that I see, myself included, rush around with no time to actually see other people.  I think it is evidenced by the number of people who constantly speed on the roads rolling right through stop signs and gunning it through yellow lights.  Sure, we see people and we might even get to work with people (that is sarcasm there), but how many times do we actually get to stop and talk with them beyond the "How are you doing?"  

I worked outside of education for about 10 years between being a student and becoming a teacher, and I never got a snow day.  There were plenty of opportunities for them, but my bosses never allowed it.  I didn't work in any crucial industry like public safety,  healthcare, or snowplowing, so I never understood why it was necessary to head into work when there are 6 inches or more of snow covering the ground.  It is too bad, because there are many mental health and family benefits to staying home on a snow day.  

A couple things come to mind.  If you don't get to enjoy a snow day, find ways to simplify a day at work or on a weekend.  I don't know how to suggest that, but we all know in our own worlds what can be put off or maybe even not started.  Shed things in your day, even just one day, to give yourself a chance to clear the fog and take a look around you.  Give it a try!  Give yourself and the people around you (family or coworkers) a surprise "snow day."  Give yourself and others around you a chance to look and listen to each other.  The benefits are great!  Enjoy a snow day!  

No comments: