Friday, December 3, 2010

"Oh, yes...oh, yes...oh, yes!!!" we'll miss you, Ron

This was originally published December 3, 2010: 
It was opening day 1995. I was in the Wrigley Field press box covering the game for the radio station I was working for at the time. It was between innings, somewhere in the middle of the game between the Cubs and Montreal Expos. Sammy Sosa had just hit a line-drive home run that still has to be one of the longest home runs I have ever seen. If it would have been 20 feet to the right, it would have hit the famous Wrigley scoreboard, which, when this was written,  had never been hit in a game. After the shot, the press box was buzzing with PA announcements, phones ringing, typewriters (yep, a few sportswriters were using them) clacking, general discussion of awe among the sportswriters. 
After the inning was completed, I went to the pressroom dining area. I was picking up a cup of coffee and a snack when the guy behind me remarked that he hadn't seen a home run that deep since Willie Stargell of the Pittsburgh Pirates hit one at Wrigley. I turned around to see who made the comment and there was Ron Santo. The legendary third baseman now radio commentator commenting on the amazing hit. Sadly, I was a bit star-struck that day after interviewing Harry Carey, Felipe Alou, and Mark Grace, so instead of striking up a conversation with him, I just nodded and walked back to the press box. Disappointing on my part, but that was Ron Santo in line behind me. 
After my wife called this morning to tell me that Ron had passed the night before, I couldn't hold back some tears. I wasn't sad because I had lost someone close to me and typically celebrity deaths don't affect me all that much (although it was tough to see Sparky Anderson go last month). I was sad because I always thought Ron would see one of two things in his life. Either a Cubs World Series victory or a vote into the Baseball Hall of Fame. I actually thought he might see both. But he realized neither. I don't remember watching him as a player, but the highlights and his statistics say a lot about him as a player. However, as a listener to Cubs radio broadcasts, I did know him as a loyal Cubs fan. I am sure that since college graduation almost 20 years ago, I have easily listened to more games on the radio than I have seen on television. Ron was a staple in our house from April until October. My daughter knew Ron as that Crazy Uncle Ron on the radio.
She might have said one time, "why does that guy keep yelling and moaning." And I would have to say, "Crazy Uncle Ron is frustrated, the Cubs just aren't playing very well today." Ron was the greatest Cubs fan and arguably among some of the greatest Cubs players ever. He will be greatly missed by me and my family. I will be flying my Cubs flag, with the famous "W," this weekend.  God Bless you, Ron!  

No comments: