Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Once Upon a Time...


With the change in the weather outside, I couldn't help but think back to this summer. Theses are pictures of the cruise we went on with Angie's family. The picture above is our approach to Haiti. It was a warm, windy morning and there was still a haze in the hills as we got near. Even this far out, we were passing little boats each carrying two fishermen. They had to be two to three miles out and still heading away from the island when we passed them at about 6 a.m.


This picture on the left shows the communication tower of the ship. There was something neat about seeing this, especially at night. The technology that allows clear navigation of the seas is very interesting. They had a viewing window above the captain's bridge and all the different radar/sonar screens, controls, and navagation computers made the bridge look more like the bridge of the USS Enterprise. I kept looking for Spock and Captain Kirk.






To the right is the running track that was on the top level. With Kaleigh on board, we didn't get to run or work out as much as we would have liked, but the couple times we got to use the track was definitely a fun experience. Running forward, in the direction the ship was going, was just like running into the wind, but running to the back was amazingly easy and when I tried a running jump, it felt like I was really making an amazingly long jump. I'm sure I wasn't, but it felt like it. It was neat to look out and see endless ocean while running. It made me feel quite small.








Below, I included a couple of my "artsy-fartsy" pictures. I realize that I am no photographer, but it was fun to play with our new camera.























How could I not conclude without a sunrise picture? This was early morning on Father's Day. We were greatly anticipating seeing and getting on the ship. Since we were up early (having never slept in anything except her crib or pack and play, Kaleigh did not sleep but maybe two hours on a bed lined with pillows and mom or dad on either side), we decided to take a walk to the ocean. We were in Coco Beach (no Jeanie sightings).





Today, November 18, with the high of 38 degrees, I look at this picture and remember the cool, damp, soft sand under my feet; the warm breeze off the ocean; and the excitement of the trip ahead. I certainly do miss warmth and scenery, but would not trade the anticipation and fun of the seasons of central Illinois.

No comments: