Thursday, June 24, 2021

New Magic the Gathering set in D&D!!

I started playing Magic the Gathering and collecting the cards about 12 years ago when I fell in love with the art and the fun text on the cards.  I played for several years, then moved on still attracted to the art on the cards.  My attention has returned to this great game as Magic the Gathering is now bringing a Dungeons and Dragons set "Adventures in the Forgotten Realms."  

There is so much I want to say about this that I will save for when I actually have the cards in hand, but once again the art is pulling me back.

One notable example of this is the Legendary Creature card that has the iconic character Drizzt Do'urden.  Anyone who has listened to the podcast CWK Pourover, will know that Drizzt Do'urden is my favorite fictional character of ALL literature I have read.  So, when in mid-May the original art for the Drizzt Do'Urden painting by Tyler Jacobson sold, I wasn't surprised at the price.  According to the MTG Art Market, the original painting for the card sold for $155,000.  It is a beautiful card with Drizzt and his magical companion panther Gwenhuvar leaping into battle.  

My fear with such interest in this set and the price of the original art is that the card will be impossible for ordinary MTG players (like myself) to attain.  I have no idea what the production rate of this card will be, but we have seen what secondary markets can do to trading card game assets like this.  My fear, however, leads to the excitement of more people discovering not only Drizzt Do'Urden but Dungeons and Dragons overall.  I hope this crossover brings MTG players into the role-playing game.  D&D has been slowly bringing Magic the Gathering into its lore with a couple settings books, Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica and Mythic Odysseys of Theros which I'm sure has brought D&D players to the MTG tables.  This collaboration makes a lot of sense, and I am really surprised that it has taken this long,.  Both of these games have long-standing players with a little crossover players, but this effort, I believe, will bring many of us together.  

Bottom line: this is an exciting time for both D&D and MTG players.  Keep an eye out for announcements from the Wizards of the Coast about this set which is to release on July 23.  

No comments: