Saturday, October 24, 2020

A Simple Connection to Community

Early in the Pandemic and quarantine like many people did, my family quarantined in our house and we took pleasure when we could get out of the house to walk or bike ride in our neighborhood.  In our area, we were transitioning from winter to spring, so not only was it needed for us as a family to get out of the house, but the weather was changing for the positive. 

During these many walks and bike rides, I came to realize that we were taking advantage of an infrastructure that is so key to the development of a healthy neighborhood, sidewalks!   I watched as dozens of people in our neighborhood were taking advantage of the sidewalks.  It made me think more about these slabs of concrete that stretch along the streets in our front yards.  I am thankful for the leadership and planning of our community and the thousands of communities across this country that have made the investment in neighborhoods.  These sidewalks and trails in our towns help to connect us.  After returning to work with a new school year, I have started taking advantage of the paved bike paths that crisscross our town by riding my bike to work every day that I can.  I have found that this has helped me to be more productive and positive as I start a new day.  I have encouraged others that I work with who live in town to ride to work and a few have done so.  This has created new relationships among colleagues and given us something in common besides just work.  

Take a step back and look at these connected paths that line the streets of your neighborhood.  Look at the people who walk these paths for exercise, walk these paths with their pets, walk these paths to get to work.  These are the people of your neighborhood.  Throughout the pandemic, kids and families in our neighborhood have become creative using sidewalk chalk to leave inspirational messages, art, and even obstacle courses.  If you don't have sidewalks, advocate for them as neighborhood and community improvement.  Are your sidewalks crumbling or not lit at night?  Advocate for them to help people get out and enjoy them more.  Are there bike paths or bike lanes in your town?  Advocate for them to improve the health of your community.  

Take a minute to look around for the positive in your neighborhood.  What are some of the things that have been around "forever" that may be underutilized or may be used every day that bring people together?  Thank your leaders for those things or advocate for them to bring them
to improve the life and safety of your community.  

What brings people together in your community?  Comment below with the positive infrastructure in your community and how it brings people together.  


1 comment:

CTM said...

What a great take! I have never really thought of sidewalks as connections to others but they absolutely are. I walk around my neighborhood almost every day and this post will definitely help change my perspective. Great job, Tom! - Colby