Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Across the State

We were in Chicago this last weekend for the Chicago Rock and Roll Half Marathon. It was a great weekend, but what struck me was the trip home. We left downtown Chicago in the morning and caught I 94 East to I-55 South. It was amazing getting out of Chicago as the traffic flowed right along. From I-55 we caught I-80 West. We went all the way across Illinois to I-280 to Rock Island to pick up our daughter. Kaleigh spent the weekend at her Aunt Laura and Uncle Chad's house; she also got to visit her grandma Townley. Then we jumped back on I-280 to I-74 East back to Peoria.
While the travel made for a long day and stiff muscles from sitting in the Aztec all day after the race, I really enjoyed the ride across Illinois. I've done the trip several times and I can almost name all the towns and exits across I-80 and east on I74. I love seeing the land and how it changes or doesn't change over time. I remember the times I've spent in many of the places like Oswego, my hometown; Morris, my high school rival; Ottawa, where I lived and worked in radio for several years; LaSalle/Peru, where I spent time with friends; Milan, where Angie's mom lives; Rock Island; biking under I-74 near Cambridge; Galesburg, where I always want to stop and visit; and of course Peoria, where we live. It's a great state with great memories.

No comments: